Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week 1/Day 1: Uzziah The Proud


There are many examples of the old saying "pride comes before the fall" in The Bible. One of the clearest is King Uzziah. Appointed king at only 16, the book of 2 Chronicles 26: 1-23 tells he
quickly grew in power, popularity, and success. Even though he was taught well and in his early 
years...he quickly came down with a case of the swollen head. Pride. When he angered God by
entering the core of the Temple where only the high priests were allowed... and then
disgracefully burned incense just to prove he was the most powerful person, God quickly struck
the king with leprosy. Uzziah was forced into isolation for the rest of his life and his son
ruled the kingdom. Indeed, a very sad ending to a once powerful man. This story is one of many
that portray God's hatred of pride. So...why is it that we all struggle with it so much. So 
many times I find myself following this very dangerous road that leads me directly away from
God when I only want to draw closer to Him. I know I shouldn't...but it happens. We all do from time to time. When we do, I think it is very important to just to bring it to God and then make it a point to worship God through scripture and song to reaffirm that He alone gives us all of
our blessings and He can take them away too. Just ask King Uzziah.  

No comments:

Post a Comment